Pages

Saturday, April 28, 2012

Mr. and Mrs. Weems


Katie and Mason

Today is the day my Dad died 26 years ago at the age of 33. It's usually a day that saddens me, as I think of all the "what ifs". It certainly has never been a day that I have looked forward to on the calendar.....until this year.

You see for months now, I've had April 28th prominently posted on my fridge as a reminder for a happier event. Today is the day my not so little anymore cousin, Mason, is getting married. It's a day we've joked would never come, but unless he sneaks out of the church, today is the day my fun loving cousin settles down. Not to be cliche, but I'm sure there will be hearts breaking in Virginia today.

Mason proposed to his beautiful bride, Katie, right before we moved from the US, and I've never been so proud of him. Katie is a beautiful person, and the perfect match for Mason's fun and outgoing personality. It just confirms my believe that there is the perfect someone out there for everybody.

The only thing that saddens me is that, because I live so far away I can't be with all of my family today to be part of an event I've been looking forward to since they first stopped by to show us "the ring". This is one of the many sacrifices I have to make living on the other side of the world from those I love. As happy as I am that today is finally here, part of me still wants to sob over what I'm missing out on.

So Mason, since I can't be there in person, and sending a card from here takes forever I want you to know my heart is with you today. I remember the day you were born like it was yesterday. You were the coolest live baby doll a 6 year old could ever have. Wendy, Joy, and I thought you were the greatest thing ever, the very first Eubanks boy! We all wanted to be little mamas to you. You have always been a source of joy and laughter for me from your days of peeing off the back of Granddad's truck trying to spray poor Rufus, to your days of conning the ice cream lady into running a tab for you. Oh, and who can ever forget how hard poor Grandma tried to keep you off of that ditch bank when you were little. You were absolutely adorable then, and you have grown to be a handsome man with an amazing personality. I would say young man, but you're 30 now :)  Seriously though, I'm very proud of you. Enjoy today, and the rest of your days with Katie.

Katie, I want to welcome you to our family officially, although to me you have already been a part of it for a few years now.  I so wish I could be there to stand and watch you walk down the aisle. I have no doubt that you will be absolutely stunning. Mason is a very lucky man! I know you have put a lot of time and effort into the wedding, and I pray it is a day full of awesome memories that you will cherish forever.

Congratulations Mr. and Mrs. Weems!

1 comment:

Brenda said...

Very sweet post. Found you on MBC. Http://www.realhoustonhousewife.com