Pages

Sunday, March 11, 2012

Sheikh Zayed Bin Sultan Al Nahyan Grand Mosque



I'm BACK! To my loyal followers that have wondered what in world has happened to me, I'm still here. I have  just been mega busy enjoying quality family time with my in-laws. They are back in the US now, so I'm back to blogging.

My in-laws took tons of pictures while they were here, and I told them I would be sharing them with my readers. So, here's a look at one of the first places I took my guests, and a must see if you ever visit Abu Dhabi.

The Sheikh Zayed Bin Sultan Al Nahyan Grand Mosque is a site to behold regardless of what your religious affiliation may be. Its building was initiated by the late leader and founder of the UAE, Sheikh Zayed Bin Sultan Al Nahyan, and it is his final resting place. Sadly, he never saw it completed. Sheikh Zayed died November 2, 2004, and the mosque was opened in 2007. Three of his sons oversaw the completion of the mosque including the UAE's current leader, Sheikh Khalifa Bin Zayed Al Nahyan.

The beauty around and within the mosque does justice to the great leader for which it is named. Sheikh Zayed is known as the "Father of the UAE", and his wisdom, forethought, and generosity has brought the UAE into modern civilization at lightening speed.

The mosque sits prominently between the Mussafah Bridge and the Maqta Bridge as you drive onto the island of Abu Dhabi, and it can be seen for miles. I pass it almost daily, and I'm still taken by it's beauty each time I drive by. At night it is lit in hues of purple, blue, or bright white depending on the phase the moon, with bright white being when the moon is full.

The mosque is open daily for visitors of all faiths from 9am-10pm except during Friday morning worship services. Guided tours are offered free, and without a reservation.















No comments: